Different Types of Press Releases
‘Press Release’ is often the most misunderstood and overused PR tool among all other PR techniques. Over the course of our work with startup founders and companies, we have noticed that most clients lean towards disseminating a press release. Be it a new website or a new product feature, there’s a misconception that every new development requires or rather deserves a press release. A press release without a newsworthy announcement is far from beneficial. So, the question to ask is ‘What counts as a newsworthy release?’.
A newsworthy announcement is any piece of new and timely information that is interesting to the media as well as to a larger audience. Here are a few examples of newsworthy announcements that work well as a press release.
Business Specific Press release
- Funding: One of the fastest ways to garner media attention is through a funding press release. It’s not only a major milestone for a startup but it also provides the required validation for the company. A funding announcement can provide immediate visibility.
- New Appointments: If you have a well-known industry leader joining the company as a board member/co-founder or as an advisor, it can make for a newsworthy announcement.
- Partnership with other businesses: A new partnership with another company that amplifies your current offering or adds a new dimension to your business can work well as a press release.
- Brand new product: If you have created a product that’s truly remarkable and has the potential to impact others, then you surely have a newsworthy product that deserves a press release.
Some of the other types of press releases are:
- Awards and competitions: Won a prestigious award or a competition recently? Make sure you announce it to the world.
- Event Specific Press Releases: If you are hosting an event that’s open to the general public, you can send out a press release with all the required information.
- Survey related press release: A survey press release is a great opportunity to establish expert positioning for your brand. A survey with data, insights and interesting trends can tell a unique story.
There’s no doubt that a press release is an important and effective PR tool to garner attention. However, it’s important to note that not everything that your company does will make for good announcements. Journalists get a few hundred press releases every day. If you really want to get their attention, make sure your press release is timely, newsworthy and has an impact on a larger audience.
Comments are closed.